Sunday 24 October 2010

To whine or not to whine..............

Been the youngest of 6 kids I was really good at whining!!!

My Mother was tormented by my constant whining, 'he did this to me..........' (always blamed the same brother easier that way didn't forget names!) "she said that to me" (only one sister so it was ALWAYS her fault) etc etc etc

My Mother did have the patience of a saint and then she would look lovingly at me and say
"would you ever stop whining" or "you'd whine to the Pope" (opps major reprimand if the Pope got dragged in!!)
That usually quietened me for at least five minutes and then I would start again.

After a certain time of living in France I actually thought that my French was fairly passable (how vain of moi!) but still everytime I opened my mouth I always got asked the question "where are you from?" not because of bad teeth but because of my accent when speaking French - it really annoyed me.  
I remember during a Doctor's visit and I was sick and miserable and whined "I am so sick of been an outsider in this country......................" and then mid-whine I looked at him, he was from Vietnam and moved to France 20 years previousily.  He just smiled at me and say "you just have to keep going and things will get better". He had the good grace in not belittling my little whine but he did tell me to move on and get over it.

There isn't anything wrong with having a good whine,it is healthy to get it off your chest once and for all but then you have to get on with it, don't let this litany of whines become your life. Or even better still whatever is making you whine, sort it out. 

Now after 20 years people still react to my accent and thats fine because it does not bother me anymore and at times I have used it to my advantage especially when the phone rings and it is those annoying call centres  "no Madame not here I am the au pair"  or better still "no Monsieur not here I am the cleaner!!!"

And for the other thousand things that make me whine I have learned to either ignore them or sort them out eventually.......................!! 

One good thing about whining to others is that you can always find someone worse off than yourself and well if nothing else at least that will cheer you up!!

Go out and have a good whine with a good glass of wine!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You must have written this after getting off skype with me. Huh? Well I couldn't agree more. Whining is tiring to hear all the time (I know, I know, your ears are exhaaauuusted!) but please know, I appreciate it. I really really do. So far the audience here is not nearly as much fun nor as understanding. :)
    Snow Flower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, you said was not is. Is that bad grammar or a brain fart?

    ReplyDelete