Tuesday 26 April 2011

To read or not to read..................

Murder, Passion, Comedy, Historical, Mystery and Romance - no not the names of my hippie children but different types of books I like to read.

Reading is one of my favourite past times, my family hate to see me with a book in my hand, not because I'll hit them with it (okay it did come in handy those few times) but because I can get so engrossed in a book that I will actually forget certain things like cook dinner - hey there are crackers somewhere or drop them off at their friend's house  - they can walk can't they? 
As my reading time is precious I have actually stopped reading certain books half way through because well life is too short and I could not give a toss what happened in the story, I have shouted at one or two books (well it did deserve it !) and the worse has been when I have actually guessed the ending half way through the book, that wasn't a case of who-done-it more of you-bloody-idiot-everyone-can-guess-who-did-it!!

There are two words that actually scare me in connection to books - Book Club. 

I think the idea of having to read a book in a time limit brings back bad memories of studying for exams - I know it is not that exactly but anyone I know in a Book Club has said one time or another
"Oh God I have to read 350 pages by next Thursday for the next Book Club meeting"
"My book choices never get picked!"
"Did not understand half of that book"
"That book depressed me and everybody in the club loved it!!"
or my all time favourite
"Read the wrong bloody book"

Now before you Book Club members start throwing books at me (providing I haven't read them - carry on!) I know that it can be a great way to be introduced to new authors and styles of books that you normally would not have read but it does seem that there are times you end up with books on your shelf that you don't really want or you don't want people know that you have!

I take the lazy option and let my friends suggest books to me and thanks to them have read some really good ones granted if the book suggestions start going downhill well I will just have to change friends then won't I?

Of course future Book Clubs will have to change there names to iBook Clubs or Kindle Klubs which will bring a whole lot of new situations
"Could not download the book properly"
"Erased the whole book by accident"
"Hurt my finger with all the scrolling"
and of course
"Downloaded the wrong bloody book!"

So to all you bookworms out there happy reading but remember to feed the family from time to time!!

1 comment:

  1. HI Cuz, I've tagged you on my blog. Pop over to www.lauratyrrell.blogspot.com to see what I've dragged you into. Go on, it's just a bit of fun.

    ReplyDelete